The number 1 problem facing journalism is money. The old business models are collapsing and media companies are searching for a sustainable future. Call us nuts, but we are taking on this big challenge. We want to come up with a solution. Luckily, others also want to fix our industry. This blog will continue to grow with interesting reads and discussions about new business models.
- How to turn youngsters into regular paying members through Instagram (summary) – Digiday UK, 15/2/18
- Willingness to pay for journalism is increasing – Digiday UK, 12/2/18
- Guide to Audience Revenue and Engagement (summary/ full report) – Columbia Journalism Review, 8/2/18
- A Crazy Idea for Funding Local News: Charge People for It (summary) – New York Times, 7/2/18
- 52 ways to make money with journalism (summary / full report) – 2015
- How The Irish Times connects with readers abroad – 24/5/17
- Reality check is coming for subscription-thirsty publishers – Digiday, 27/2/18
- The Wall Street Journal has built a paywall that bends to the individual reader – NiemanLab, 22/2/18
- Scroll Signs On Publishers for Service That Will Curb Their Ads – The Wall Street Journal, 22/2/18
- Tony Haile: there’s no hero business model that’s going to save everyone – Medium, 22/2/18
- A look inside The Seattle Times’ newsletter strategy – The Lenfest Institute, 15/3/18
- How 45 journalists started again, and built a profitable news business from scratch – Journalism.co.uk, 20/3/18
- We’ve also discussed the consequences the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will have for media companies and their engagement with audiences – some dread it because they think it could become more difficult, others find it great because of the protection it gives the audience.
- It calls itself ‘the business platform for digital media’: Piano, a tool to target the right audience, business model, subscriptions, etc.
- Mediaconnect is a multi channel engagement platform that streamlines content workflows and powers valuable audience interactions.
We have a WhatsApp group to share knowledge, give advice and connect with each other. This group is specifically for media professionals who are interested in audience-funded journalism. If you are interested and fit the profile, please send an email with your mobile number to email@example.com.